Saturday, July 28, 2012

Why was Mitt Romney chosen as CEO of '02 Olympics?


In a brilliantly written and researched article on Willard Romney's time presiding over the Salt Lake Organizing Committee during the 2002 Winter Olympics, an author writing under the handle DeanDemocrat provides a detailed peek behind the veil Romney has attempted to throw over the inner workings of that tenure. Try as I might, I can add little of substance to this amazing piece culled from contemporaneous reports of that time.

Taking enough of that writing to both stay within the bounds of fair use and encourage readers to click through at the end to conclude a stunning read, I present the opening salvo of this incredible research without further comment.
Seeing as Mitt Romney is in London playing the part of the Ugly American, and seeing as this has brought some new focus onto Mitt Romney's own tenure as head of the Olympic Games; I find myself asking why Mitt Romney was chosen as CEO of the 2002 Olympic Games in the first place?

In fact this is a question I find myself asking every time someone on TV mentions Romney's role in "saving" the 2002 Winter games from corruption and scandal. No matter how hard I look I cannot find an answer to this question. And I have done some extensive searching. Every article from the era seems to glance right over the question of why Mitt Romney was chosen and instead focuses on the question of how it will benefit him politically.

The Boston Globe covered the story of the 2002 Olympic Games very closely and I will be quoting extensively from the articles they wrote at the time. But even they seemingly failed to answer this basic question.

Here is a little timeline for those who haven't looked into it very much.
Read more »

No comments: